PADePaul

P.A. DePaul Blog Page

PA DePaul is a multi-genre romance author including paranormal fantasy, and romantic suspense. She has a full-length paranormal romance debut titled Guardian Redeemed; and is currently working on a romantic suspense series. She originally hails from Carroll County and Baltimore County, Maryland, but also lived in Macon and Warner Robins, Georgia. She currently resides in a beautiful community just outside Philadelphia. When her head is not completely absorbed with listening to her very demanding characters tell their stories, she can be found with her nose in a book—not only enjoying the story but studying what makes the novel work. She loves action-adventure movies (if it blows up spectacularly, she’s there) and watching way too much TV. (Can everybody say “Procrastination?” To which she usually replies, “But it’s research!” Yeah, they don’t believe her either.). More times than not, her husband and Shi Tzu stand outside her closed office door wondering, “Is she still alive? Do we dare bother her? What if she’s on a roll?” Monty usually answers by scratching on the wood anyway. Gotta love a dog who doesn’t care about boundaries! Good thing he’s so cute! You can visit her at www.padepaul.com or www.facebook.com/padepaul or https://twitter.com/PADePaul.
The Night Circus - Erin Morgenstern I loved the premise of this story and couldn't wait to read it but from the first page I couldn't get used to the writing style. I'm not used to present tense or having someone pretty much "tell" me an entire story. I couldn't share any emotions with the characters because she didn't show us any--she told me many times but didn't show me at all. I also didn't understand why we had to jump around in time so much. Almost every chapter we were either years forward or jumping years back, it became very disconcerting.

This book could have been fantastic if it was in the usual past tense and the author showed me the character's actions and emotions instead of constantly summing up what was going on.